Monday, February 23, 2009

Coming of Age Cermony at Chubu Uni (1/9/09)

Chubu University had a Coming of Age Cermony on campus the Friday before the second Sunday of January. I was picked to wear the kimono becase I was the closest person to age 20 years old who agreed to wear the kimono. I was told to be at the place where they put on the kimono by 1pm, but we didn't need to be dressed until 5:30pm-ish. It only took about 15 miuntes to get it on. Myself and the three other kimono wearers wondered around the campus for a few hours and fortunately didn't spill anything on, or rip the kimonos during the day. We went arounf and took pictures with lots of people. Of course, four foriegners walking around in kimonos attracted more stares than usual. It was entertaining to see people's more than average suprised faces.

The actual formal ceremony consisted of a few speeches and a candle lighting mini ceremony. During this part we pretty much just sat and listened.

After all of the formal stuff we went outside and they were serving some food/soup dish that I didn't get a chance to eat becuase I didn't want to spill on the kimono. Then it was off there where the I put on the kimono to take it off. It only took about 3-5 minutes to change.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seijin_shiki

PICS:


I just got back from Osaka and will have a few posts about that, but first I have a 7 or 8 more to put up.

1 comment:

Tychocrater said...

Hi Morgan - you need to get a kimono to bring back!
Dad